January 1, 2012

2012 | Day 1: Reflection on 2011 & Goals for 2012


MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE OF THE DAY

"From this day forward I don’t "settle" for anything less then perfection and what I deserve. No more second best...ONLY the best! I will be better in every aspect from my career to my relationships..." - Brent Allen

For the complete Motivational, review From This Day Forward... | WPM Women.

REFLECTION ON 2011

2011 has been a mixed bag, a year of immense struggle and frustration, but also a year of great opportunities and blessings.

Early on I started focusing on making Rosie’s MuscleRevolution more than just a "hobby" I have a passion for, and for the first two thirds of the year, made my living solely from my clients. It’s been interesting learning the ins and outs of building a business from the ground up, especially considering when I started my website and online training, it was just something I did because I enjoyed it and wanted to help others, giving them the RIGHT information and direction to start with and from re fitness. Now though, Rosie’s MuscleRevolution has become so much MORE, evolving as I have changed and grown, and my website will continue to be updated throughout 2012.

As a challenge I decided to branch out in the industry and explore fitness modelling, having a blast doing my first photoshoots of the year in May and June. I enjoyed working with the photographers so much that I worked with them again in November, and have the honour of being in OAMG’s first ever, limited edition 2012 Calendar!

In May, I was blessed with a new addition to the family - Noah Isaiah Chee, the most beautiful little boy you ever saw! I could not be prouder of my brother for everything that he has done and will do - he is a great father; Noah is a very special and lucky child to have the parents he does. I cannot wait to go back home and meet this smiling boy (whom I have "watched" grow through pictures on Facebook and brief Skype conversations). There comes a time when family (and close friends) starts to mean more to you than you can imagine, and although I keep in regular contact with mine (spread all over the world), I DO miss them and being directly involved in their lives.

The second half of 2011 has been perhaps the hardest, but also the most rewarding. At the start of August I refractured my left wrist, which took me out of training for almost two months. Having learnt the first time I fractured that wrist in 2009 that everything happens for a reason - to teach us something or cause us to slow down and reflect - I tried to see the blessing in the tragedy. The upside: I was able to finally sit down and reassess my goals and priorities, getting things done that I have wanted to start or do for a long time, but might not have otherwise made time for, including but not limited to starting my own monthly online newsletter, get on Twitter, and approach World Physique Magazine about becoming a contributing author - I was given my own Motivation column in the magazine, as well as started a daily online Motivational for WPM Women (one of WPM's latest magazine additions, the first issue coming this month)! 
The downside: I lost all the muscle mass in my shoulders and arms that I had worked so hard all year until then to build. However, that too became a plus: When I was able to start training again in September I packed the muscle back on in record time - and then SOME! For the FIRST time in my life, my body was BALANCED re upper and lower, my girths the same on both sides, symmetrical, and finally in a condition that I was happy with (which is HUGE for those who know me)!

Around the time that I restarted training, I relocated to Texas for a new job: Training all the new members in a fitness facility. Most of the individuals that I work with have never been in a gym before or ever done any sort of structured exercise, so having a trainer start them out on an individualized training programme, demonstrating the exercises, making sure they have the correct form/technique and breathing, teaching them how they can progress their training, is ideal, and something rarely offered anywhere in the world (free of charge to the receiving party). 80% of those I work with are older, their many issues (rehabilitating from acute surgeries or chronic injury, and battling lifestyle diseases), some of whom have been turned away from other fitness facilities because of this. It has been very rewarding hearing feedback from members on how much better they feel (99% of them), how they are sleeping for the first time in years (a woman who has fibromyalgia), that they are starting to be able to walk properly again (an elderly woman who has been in a walker and cannot move around with the support of it for years), the lack of pain where there has been constant pain (a woman who has had multiple back surgeries), the increase in range of motion (many who have had rotator cuff and/or knee replacement surgeries) - the list goes on. I really enjoy my work, doing what I am passionate about: Motivating and helping others make - and educating them on CONTINUING to make - decisions that have a POSITIVE effect on the quality of their life!

In November I had a couple of trips to Florida, where I worked with several amazing photographers, setting the foundation for being able to get increased exposure to be able to speak to a larger audience re fitness and as a testament of God’s Glory, Grace and Strength, a living example of what can be done if one wants it badly enough and is willing to do what it takes to get there.

On returning from Florida at the end of November, my right biceps tendon finally tore (after years of being aggravated and ignored), causing a domino effect of new injuries (torn rotator cuff tendon) and old ones flaring up (nerve root impingement in cervical vertebrae, lower back pain and bone bruising) and worsening (chondromalacia - bone fragments becoming loose bodies in my knees) - forcing MORE time out from training, ironically coming on the heels of such an awesome month and only ~3 months of being back in training after my left wrist injury. But, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger - I am a Warrior, and I WILL get through this (I just hope that I recover ASAP!) and come back better than ever!

Training Last Week of 2011

Fourth week out of commission. My knees have been worse than my right shoulder/arm to be honest, and the day after any that I spend anything more than ~1 hour on my feet or walking around, both my knees swell up and seize, limiting my range of motion, sharp and intense pain on movement. My left hip has been getting worse as well re pain. Although I don't see myself being able to train this week, once I'm back in Texas, I AM going to go out for a run and see how that goes - foolish perhaps, especially considering jarring my shoulder is not smart, and my knees/hip barely handle walking, but I have to at least TRY! I am SICK of NOT being able to do anything and it is driving me INsane! I'm also going to see what I can do re upper body with weights - any shoulder extension or external rotation and things like Dips are out of the question for my right shoulder/arm, because of the extreme pain and lack of range of motion even now attempting it ASSISTED, and shoulder abduction is still very limited before I want to fall screaming to the ground, but at least I have SOME.

Body Composition Heading into 2012

As expected, my body composition continued to rise this week and is now at 8.8% bodyfat - no training is definitely affecting me (as well as the constant eating, which I have been doing - spankings there!) I don't appear to have lost any of my muscle, and whilst gaining bodyfat is NOT desirable, I am relieved that I am MAINTAINING my muscle mass!  There is a HUGE difference in how I look and feel this week from last week, and if last week didn't already confirm it, I know for definite that I do NOT feel comfortable with my body at anything over ~8.3% bodyfat (and certainly not if I am unable to train)! So, I need to lean out and STAY lean, maintaining less than 8.2-8.3% bodyfat!

GOALS FOR 2012

My goals for 2012 have not changed - with the exception of my TOP priority now being recovery from the multiple injuries that hit me a month ago.

That said, during the time that I start back at training, I am going to be working not just on recovery, but on leaning back down to <8.3% bodyfat, from there not "allowing" myself to go higher than ~8.2-8.3% bodyfat.

With training, recovery comes first with what I can and can't do, obviously, but then my training is simply going to be working on maintaining my current muscle mass (and leanness, once leaned back down), and improving several areas of my body. As far as strength goes, I am not too concerned with what I am lifting (and as I recover, it's not going to be very much at all) - so long as what I am doing is challenging me and making my body work and scream.

Nutrition is perhaps still the most important factor and I need to take more heed for health reasons. I know what foods my body feels (and looks) best after, what foods my body is intolerant of and sensitive to, what times different foods are best consumed by my body, and what nutritional protocol works best for my body. I will continuing with my own modification of the Lean Gains nutritional protocol since it is "perfect" for ME, albeit eating what and when I know is going to be best for my body and health!

Even though 2011 ended on a bittersweet note, I KNOW that God has Great things in store for 2012 and I am Excited about it! I plan on making 2012 the BEST year of my life ("so far", as says Homer Simpson) PROFESSIONALLY, PHYSICALLY, AND PERSONALLY!

"'For I know the plans I have for you', says the Lord, 'plans to give you hope and a future.'" - Jeremiah 29:10