January 29, 2012

2012 | Day 29: Let's get it on!...Let's tear it up! I'm staying straight to the core...


MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Have great hopes and dare to go all out for them. Have great dreams and dare to live them. Have tremendous expectations and believe in them." - Norman Vincent Peale

For the complete Motivational, review Dare Greatly | WPM Women.

TRAINING

Third week in training. Still a little under Maintenance training without post-weights cardio, but everything else ok.

Training completed this week:

Monday

Session 1

HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 12 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 10 min jogging

Stretch 28 min

Session 2

Shoulders/Hamstrings (1 min recovery between sets):
1. Smith Machine Seated Military Press 4 x 12, 8, 6, 6
2. Smith Machine Seated Behind-the-neck Military Press 4 x 10, 10, 8, 8
3. Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises 4 x 10 per side
4. Stiff-Legged BB Deadlift (on 6-inch box, BB to touch floor) 4 x 10

It was awesome and such an ALIVE feeling to be back up at 0430. My HIIT Run was just that much better and I felt positive. Sprints were done as best I could, albeit having to slow down a little to favour my right knee after the eighth one...Resistance training was completed after work. Because I wanted to build on what I had done last week, did the same exercises. Started off with Military Press using the Smith Machine, immediately putting on the weight I finished off with last week (when I pyramided it up, to see what I could handle), and did that, albeit struggling quite a bit in the last couple of sets. Heavier Behind-the-neck Military Press this week than last week, and surprisingly, it was easier for me than the regular Military Press! Did the first two sets of Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises as last week, but because my right side was feeling ok, went up for the last two sets, noticing then the difference in strength and function, the pain forcing much slower tempo. Felt back crunching and clicking on EVERY rep of the Stiff-Legged BB Deadlift, but no pain in it - only in my hamstrings, from the additional stretch provided by the 6-inch box I was standing on...It would have been ideal to do 20 minutes on the Recline Bike post-weights, if just to help my hamstrings recover, but they were all being used, the gym the busiest I have ever seen it...

Tuesday

Session 1

Run 3 miles

Stretch 36 min

Session 2

Recline Bike 10 min @ 119 rpm

Arms/Abs (30 sec recovery between alternate sets):
Alternate Set A -
1. Dips 4 x 8
2. Close-Grip BB Bicep Curls 4 x 6
Alternate Set B -
3. V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs 4 x 8, 8, 7, 6
4. EZ-Bar Bicep Curls 4 x 8, 8, 6, 6
Alternate Set C -
5. Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions 4 x 10, 10, 8, 8
6. Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls 4 x 15, 12, 12, 10 per side
Alternate Set D -
7. Rope Crunches 4 x 25
8. Knee-Ins (on floor) 4 x 25, 20, 15, 15

Run was done in the dark. Cool the way I like it, my knees feeling ok starting out. However, not ending so well, as I limped the last half, trying to put as little pressure on my right side as possible...Resistance training had to wait again until after work (getting very frustrated with this, especially as at that time the gym has become so full that it’s enough to want one to say fcuk it). Started out with Dips - not as painful as last week, but starting to feel it on the last set after the third rep, pushing through anyway. Close-Grip BB Bicep Curls were a definite effort - strength is far from 100% here, not to mention nearly dropping the barbell during the last set after four reps because of a sharp pain shooting through my right bicep. Went up in weight from last week with V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs - strength surprisingly has not been lost here. Lighter EZ-Bar Bicep Curls - less than what I wanted to do re reps, but was willing to take what my body would give. I was definitely not a pretty sight in the gym this session for sure. I was a mess, my hair all over the place, sweating, on the floor between sets, especially during Alternate Set D, my head between my knees, catching myself, determined to finish it out, no matter what...

Wednesday

HIIT Recline Bike:
a. 4 min @ 115-119 rpm
b. 8 x 20 sec effort/10 sec easy
c. 12 min @ 114-119 rpm

Stretch 22 min

I was actually going to try HIIT skipping today, but the movement was too much for my right shoulder/bicep, so I turned to the Recline Bike. Really feeling it in my legs and glutes. Definitely far more preferable running - and better for my body and results as well!

Thursday

Session 1

Recline Bike 10 min @ 108-110 rpm

Session 2

Shoulders/Arms/Abs (30 sec recovery between trisets):
TriSet A -
1. Swissball Crunch (270 degrees to 180 degrees) 4 x 20
2. Deadbug 4 x 8
3. Plank 4 x 1 min
TriSet B -
4. Dips 4 x 8
5. DB Zottoman Curls 4 x 12, 10, 10, 8
6. Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls 4 x 10 per side
TriSet C -
7. DB Clean and Press 4 x 10
8. DB Lateral Raises 4 x 10
9. Rear Flyes 4 x 10

Stretch 20 min

I was going to do 20 minutes on the Recline Bike during my brief lunch break, but the pedals kept "skipping", which was not kind to my knees, so after 10 minutes I stopped...Left my resistance training until after work, which went overtime by over an hour (and left me wanting to beat something to a bloody pulp - the perfect mood for crushing the weights), leaving me enough time to get in a shorter session, so I decided to do Shoulders/Arms/Abs and leave Full-Body to Friday. To get the session done in the time I had and make it as intense as possible, I did three trisets, with minimal rest at the end of each, barely giving myself time to recover before breaking my body down some more. Abs were screaming after the last few sets of Swissball Crunches - believe me, if you really want to feel a burn doing them and you’re not doing bridge crunches, do them up to 180 degrees (instead of from 180 degrees). Back was killing me after Deadbugs, hence stopping at only eight reps for them, and forcing the last two out on the last two sets, despite my protesting body. Dips were better - less painful than last week. DB Zottoman Curls were painful. To make it seem better, vascularity was very prominent, although muscle mass was far more noticeable in left side. Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls were very painful to do, but I forced them out. DB Clean and Press was another very painful movement - sometimes I still need to push my right arm up that high to get it there, but near tears, I made sure I got it there without assistance. Rear Flyes were hard, even at a light weight, feeling my right biceps tendon stretching...

Friday

HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 12 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 10 min jogging

Stretch 23 min

I was SHATTERED on waking, so decided to leave my training for a little later. Later I decided to just do my HIIT and my resistance session on Saturday, especially since my right shoulder and bicep was hurting the worst it has in the last three weeks. Not long into my run my lungs were burning, my throat dry, feeling like I couldn’t breathe, an effort to move my body. After my sprints, pitiful attempts at speed, my pace dwindled almost to a crawl as I literally dragged my exhausted body back to my room.

Saturday

Run 1.5 miles

Full-Body (30 sec recovery between supersets):
SuperSet A -
1. Rope Crunches 4 x 20
2. Stiff-Legged BB Deadlifts (BB to touch ground) 4 x 10
SuperSet B -
3. DB Bicep Curls 4 x 21s
4. DB Hammer Curls 4 x 6, 8, 8, 10 per side
SuperSet C -
5. DB Hammer Raises 4 x 10
6. Rear Flyes 4 x 10
SuperSet D -
7. Push-Ups (hands on fists, feet on floor) 4 x 10
8. Supinated Lat Pull-Downs 4 x 10
SuperSet E -
9. Single-Leg Deadlifts 4 x 10 per leg
10. Ab Rollout 4 x 10

Post-Weights Cardio:
Run 1 mile

Stretch 20 min

Full-Body back in session! After a quick run, it was all go. No taking it easy, with supersets and little recovery, albeit nothing my body is not used to being abused with. SuperSet A was fine, although feeling my abs burn towards the last set, and getting quite lightheaded during the last couple of sets of Stiff-Legged Deadlifts. Had to go a lighter than usual for DB Bicep Curl 21s, feeling my right bicep screaming through the last two sets. If that was painful, the DB Hammer Curls were even more painful, and I ignored it, almost in tears and vision blurring from the being dizzy and heady, pushing through, dropping the weight down for the last couple of sets. More teeth gritting for DB Hammer Raises, feeling the sharp stabbing pain through my right bicep and shoulder. Rear Flyes were no better, and I had to force the last few reps out on the last two sets, shaking to keep from growling. Push-Ups were not as painful as last week. Supinated Lat Pull-Downs were manageable, although feeling heavier than usual. Noticed during Single-Leg Deadlifts that my balance on my right leg is off-kilter and going to need working on. Ab Rollout, although perhaps the simplest exercise of the session, was the killer, and really finished me off...Since the Recline Bikes were all in use, I went out for a run, because I wanted to do SOME post-weights cardio. Right ankle gave out and collapsed on me - not cool; that’s the umpteenth time it has done that over the last couple of years (think) - hence not the 3 miles I WAS going to do...

Sunday

Day OFF

It has been an exhausting week, and even if training has not quite been at Maintenance, I AM relieved to have today off after my working week.

Training has definitely been a battle this week, but I have pushed myself, not just because I want to see what my body will take, but because it has been very stressful at work, my aggression and frustration through the roof, needing an outlet to take it out on. That aside, the week started off AWESOME, welcoming in the Chinese New Year - and believe me, it DID feel like "change" when I woke that morning, something inside me, my attitude and outlook different somehow - bouncing off the walls, smiles and laughter (getting back into schedule helped as well, and I think my boss realized for the first time just HOW important training FIRST thing is to my function and well-being).

OTHER NOTES

Body Composition

Back up to 9.3% bodyfat - which is surprising, since my diet has been clean and spot on ALL week (just goes to show that 100% eating clean and "dieting" does NOT work the best for my body!), AND I have been back in training (albeit not yet at Maintenance). Girths have decreased a little though re waist, glutes, and legs, along with overall body mass. It's a start, but NOT good enough.

Supplements

Last day of Battlefuel on Monday. Starting back on Recompadrol on Monday - I have missed this, and looking for it has been like searching for gold, so thank you Zach for pointing me in the right direction Made an order in the middle of the week for the rest of my "staples", so they should arrive mid-next week, just in time to start about the same time as February - I am looking forward to it to say the least; the products I use really DO make a DIFFERENCE for me!

Muscle Bombshell

As my day was winding down yesterday, it was a nice surprise to discover that my Interview for Muscle Bombshell has been featured on their website! I am honoured and want to thank everyone who has encouraged and supported me on my fitness journey throughout the last year - although going at it alone can be done, sometimes knowing that you're not traveling alone makes it all the better.
 To check out my Interview, see: Rosie Chee Scott - Fitness Expert and Elite Athlete

A Beautiful Blessing

Even through the storm clouds of this week, I've had a smile in my heart, a blessing completely UNexpected, but my saving grace, making me believe in things I had all but thrown away hope for. Here's to bringing that smile into next week and making it the BEST one of this year so far!

God Bless and Keep You All Safe and Happy!