January 22, 2012

2012 | Day 22: I will not be forgotten...This is my time to shine...


MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE OF THE DAY

"We are all blessed with so much and yet most of us piss those blessings away. Time for change, time for a new you and to start living life. Let go of the bullshit and the excuses. Accept personal accountability in order to self create success." - Joseph C. Donnelly

For the complete Motivational, review Personal Accountability | WPM Women.

TRAINING

Second week in training. Better than last week, but still not quite back up to speed and below Maintenance training.

Training completed this week:

Monday

Session 1

HIIT Recline Bike:
a. 4 min @ 110-133 rpm
b. 12 x 20 sec effort/10 sec easy
c. 10 min @ 108-113 rpm

Session 2

Recline Bike 10 min @ 108 rpm

Shoulders/Hamstrings (1 min recovery between sets):
1. Smith Machine Seated Military Press 4 x 15, 12, 8, 6
2. Smith Machine Seated Behind-the-neck Military Press 4 x 6
3. Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises 4 x 10 per side
4. Stiff-Legged BB Deadlift (BB to touch floor) 2 x 10
5. Single-Leg Deadlift (with twist and reach) 2 x 10 per leg

I decided to do my HIIT on the Recline Bike, because running is still so very painful on my knees, and difficult to run with the constant seizing of my right knee. My right knee clicked and cracked and popped for the first couple of minutes, but I gritted my teeth through the pain, and it got better during my efforts. After though, slowing down and getting off, was very painful...Waited until after work to do my resistance session - figuring that two, albeit shorter, intense training sessions would be better for my body in getting back into it, instead of everything all at once. Because of last week and the inability to properly do BB Military Presses as I wanted, and because I wanted to do them, I used the Smith Machine, thinking it would help and I'd still get the benefit from doing them. There was less pain, but at the same time, favouring my right shoulder was made easier. I did Behind-the-neck Military Presses on it as well, because they are the exercise that has helped me the most re shoulder development, and I don't want to have to stop doing them. My left side was fine doing Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises and the weight was easy (I used the same weight as I did for my right side, because I do not want to become unbalanced re muscle and strength), but for my right side it was not, and my face was a mask of pain. Did Hamstrings today, determined to complete a FULL session. Had to stop after two sets on the Stiff-Legged BB Deadlifts because my middle back was clicking in and out, in pain whenever I bent down, which is something I have not experienced doing these before (the former - pain can be normal, even with the right form, because of my back injury years ago)...Forgot to bring my Assault to work, so training virtually on empty today as well...

Tuesday

Session 1

Recline Bike 20 min @ 108-110 rpm

Session 2

Recline Bike 10 min @ 108-113 rpm

Arms/Abs (30 sec recovery between alternate sets):
Alternate Set A -
1. Dips 4 x 6
2. Close-Grip BB Bicep Curls 4 x 6
Alternate Set B -
3. V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs 4 x 6
4. Incline DB Bicep Curls 4 x 12
Alternate Set C -
5. Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions 4 x 15, 12, 12, 8
6. DB Zottoman Curls 4 x 10
Alternate Set D -
7. Hanging Straight-Leg Raises (feet to touch bar) 4 x 8
8. Rope Crunches 4 x 15

Post-Weights Cardio:
Recline Bike 10 min @ 117-119 rpm

Did the Recline Bike during a brief break from work, because I have noticed that even though it hurts my knees doing it, AFTERwards, my knees are not in as much pain for the rest of the day...Assault today...Dips were more manageable than last week, and I managed to get through two sets with minimal pain before the sharp pain from the third rep on the last two sets. Close-Grip BB Bicep Curls were like Dips last week - painful from the third rep on each set, and on the last two sets, I almost didn't make the last two reps, but I held back the tears stinging my eyes and made my body do it. Surprisingly, V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs are an exercise that I have not lost strength in - although the loss in muscle mass in my right side is apparent. Decided to try Overhead Tricep Rope Extensions, since I do not have to lift my right arms up that much, and higher reps with at least one tricep exercise is ok. Having my right shoulder flexed straight up, hanging on a bar even at only my body mass, was more difficult that I thought it would be, and Hanging Straight-Leg Raises were the most painful exercise in the entire session - sharp, shooting pains were radiating through my right shoulder from the time I pushed my right arm up (yes, I had to push it up to get it to the bar, that's how much it still hurts re range of motion), but I toughed it out...Another surprise was during post-weights cardio, when I was spinning and there was not as much pain in my knee. I could have held that pace for a further 10 minutes, but stopped...

Wednesday

HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 12 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 5 min jogging

Left knee was the one hurting starting out. Didn't have the same pain in my right knee until after the first sprint, and then it was stiff and seizing for the duration of my run. Running was lopsided and awkward, but it was done.

Thursday

Day OFF

Knees were pretty bad, and although I was close to using it at work, I soldiered through without my walking stick. I am a "no excuses" person, but I am still learning that there ARE times when it is called "being smart" and not "making excuses" to have a day off training. My mind protests it because I feel like I am letting myself down, but right now, it is more important to recover than to force my body to do something that is only going to mean more time out later on.

Friday

Recline Bike 10 min @ 117-119 rpm

Full-Body (30 sec recovery between alternate sets):
Alternate Set A -
1. Push-Ups (hands on DB, feet on floor) 4 x 10
2. Supinated BB Bent Over Rows 4 x 10
Alternate Set B -
3. Plate Hammer Raises 4 x 10
4. Rear Flyes 4 x 10
Alternate Set C -
5. DB Lateral Raises 4 x 10
6. Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls 4 x 10 per side
Alternate Set D -
7. V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs 4 x 10
8. DB Bicep Curls 4 x 10
Alternate Set E -
9. Rope Crunches 4 x 20, 15, 10, 10
10. Swissball Leg Curls 4 x 10
Alternate Set F -
11. Swissball Crunches (270 degrees to 180 degrees) 4 x 20, 20, 15, 10
12. Plank 4 x 1 min

Recline Bike 10 min @ 119-121 rpm

Had a full scoop of Assault for the first time today. A single serving is enough for me to feel effects, but a scoop just put it up a notch, and I felt like I was literally on another gear. It was easier to ignore the pain and I knew I'd feel this training session on Friday.

Saturday

HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 12 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 5 min jogging

Abs (1 minute recovery between trisets):
TriSet -
1. Ab Rollout 4 x 10
2. Rope Crunch 4 x 10
3. Weighted DB Crunch (knees at 90 degree angle) 4 x 10

Definitely feeling the Full-Body session, especially the abwork, from yesterday. Even though the training schedule I have set out is the best for my body as far as results, I have a suspicion that doing shoulders three times a week pre-injury was a factor in my body breaking down re injuries, and, to be cautious - at least for this week - and because I did not want to only do three resistance sessions this week, I did ~20 minutes of Abs.

Sunday

Day OFF

Recovery, hoping I can get to sleep early tonight (before 0000), because tomorrow I want to get up at 0430, and get back into THAT training schedule again, since it's the best one for my body, results, and functionality.

OTHER NOTES

Body Composition

Body Composition decreased by a pitiful 0.1% bodyfat over this week, so now at 9.2% bodyfat. Girths either remained the same or INcreased, which is a little upsetting, especially since none of the increases are where I wouldn't mind them. I have a long road ahead of me to get back to where I want to be - definitely not being able to lift as heavy as I need to, and being limited in some exercises, is going to impact my progress, but I'm going to give it my everything regardless.

Supplements

My day was made on Monday when more 7-KE arrived - have been using it since and already noticing the difference in upper abdominals. Also been using Assault again and really noticing the difference it makes to how I feel during training, as well as re energy, given that I did not use it last week. I also have to note that I've been using NO Infuse pre AND post-training, and it has been helping tremendously with pain management in my right shoulder/bicep. I will be starting back on all my "staples" at the start of February.

WPM Women


If you haven't checked it out yet do - the first issue of WPM Women has set the bar high for future issues, and it's now available in both print AND online!
WPM Women, Winter 2012

2012 OAMG Calendar

If you've been thinking about getting a copy, stop waiting and grab one. Tony has been sending them out, and it's a nice surprise to receive in the mail.
Go to www.oamediagroup.com to order your copy!

Someone asked me the other day why I "do it if it hurts", referring to the fact that training is still extremely painful for me. Hell, if I didn't do something because I was in pain, I'd never do anything - my body is in constant pain, and not just "normal" muscular pain; I've just learnt to live with it! Some people just do not understand that! But, everything may not have gone the way I wanted it to this week, still with training lacking, but it's progress on last week. And next week will be progress on THIS week.