August 31, 2011

Day 243: Back from the Brink (Update!)


MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE OF THE DAY

"There are going to be times when life feels more like a struggle than a smooth road.  The challenges that you face in life are what brings you to higher heights. There is strength in everyone, though not everyone believes in themselves enough to rise above. Whenever a crisis arises in your life, try to take a positive action towards that obstacle. Remain focused on your goals and never give up. You are capable of so much more than you realize, you have the power to do anything your heart desires. Keep your mind open, your heart filled with determination, and always BELIEVE that you can do it!" – Roseanne Venturino

THE LAST 2-3 MONTHS

Time sure does pass by quickly. The last 2-3 months have been interesting to say the least, and Venturino's words couldn't have summed them up better. Definitely frustrating, but also strangely rewarding.

Work

It doesn't feel that long ago that I was preparing for my first Figure competition of the year, and starting a new job that meant I was not able to compete as planned. After only a month of consistent inconsistency and unpredictability of the job, having to reschedule everything for a "yet-to-be-determined" date, because I had no idea of where I would be at any given time, or even if the job would allow me the time to do what had in some instances been planned MONTHS in advance, I did what was best for my mind and body, removing myself from the situation.

Injury

Then, at the start of August, I somehow managed to REfracture my left wrist again - the first time I double-fractured it weakened it, and I push my body as hard as I can, likely sometimes asking too much of it, and this is its way of telling me I need to slow down.

A Rare Training Period

The last 10 weeks have not been the best and quite a rare period re training for me. Because of work demands, I only managed 2-3 training sessions a week for three weeks, with the fourth week a complete week OFF ALL training (the decreased volume and time off might have been a little beneficial for my body, given that I have not given myself a break from any training or had a week off all training since the start of October LAST year). Close on its heels, my wrist injury meant another complete week OFF ALL training (the SECOND in five weeks!) because the slightest movement caused the most excruciating pain, battling through 2-3 training sessions a week for the last couple of weeks.

Definitely a far cry from my Maintenance training of 4-5 resistance sessions a week and six days with a cardio session lasting ~20 minutes, and I canNOT wait until my body is back up to speed re functionality and strength, with minimal or no pain in my left wrist, because it is unbelievably frustrating going from the work situation to the injury situation and having my training - which is what is the predominant factor in my health and fitness conditioning - suffer the way it has.

Sleep

I have not been sleeping well at all for the last few weeks, going for days withOUT being able to go to sleep, then spending days completely exhausted and passing out if I so much as close my eyes for a moment. I believe that the pain in my left wrist has contributed a lot to this, the pain taking a lot out of me, affecting me as unpredictably as June/July's work schedule.

Supplements

As far as supplements, for the last month I have only been - and will likely continue until further notice - using the most basic of staples: Vitamin C, RecoverPRO, MuscleGel Shots, and Assault (along with 7-KE).

I've definitely missed using Erase - notice the difference without it, and don't much like it, to be honest.

Just to note that - although I didn't know it when I started - as soon as I learnt that I would not be able to compete in July, I started using AnaBeta again, and ran through an entire bottle. I believe that this is one of the primary reasons why I was able to maintain my body composition so well with such little training and "normal" nutrition.

Lean Gains

Throughout this entire time, it has been confirmed more than ever - with time on AND off this protocol - that my adaptation of the Lean Gains protocol is THE nutritional method for me in getting the BEST progress for me and maintaining my leanness. Therefore, for the last 2.5 weeks I have been quite strict in sticking to this re timing of meals and feeding windows, and will continue to be. My diet is still not perfect, but, as I've discovered multiple times over, being "perfect" with my diet means LESS progress than when I am NOT perfect - so long as my meals are timed optimally for ME, then results happen.

Getting Back on Track with Training

Next week I am going to attempt returning to close to Maintenance training. I will obviously have to modify several sessions because of my wrist, but I am determined to do and lift what I can re weights (I have cut back to three 20-30 minute resistance sessions - if done efficiently, they do NOT have to be long to be effective), and be as close to "normal" as possible.

Training (modified) is:
Monday - HIIT 20 min + Shoulders/Hamstrings
Tuesday - Run 10 min + Arms/Abs
Wednesday - HIIT 20 min
Thursday - Run 10 min + Back/Chest
Friday - HIIT 20 min + Abs
Saturday - Cardio 20 min
Sunday - Day Off

Changes in Body Mass and Composition

Not being able to lift weights - or lift heavy when I HAVE attempted resistance training - has dramatically affected my body. Currently I am 106 pounds, the LIGHTEST I have been in ~7 years! Although my body composition has remained fairly stable, maintaining at ~8.5% bodyfat, I have lost MUSCLE mass noticeably from my deltoids and arms - both areas that I spent the first half of the year working so hard to add muscle to!

Future Plans

Because I was not able to compete in July, and because I want to compete at LEAST ONCE this year - I want to win my Figure Pro card so badly! - I am looking at competing at the end of October. The competition is only 8.5 weeks away, and since I am not going to gain back the muscle lost in the time I have, I will work on MAINTAINING the muscle mass that I currently have and lean out more, focusing more than ever on my stage presence and posing - both my "weak" areas - hoping that along with the changes I have made to my physique since competing last year are enough.

Photoshoots that were scheduled for June and July had to be rescheduled, now to take place in September and October, those with Walt Ostarly only a few days before the competition. I'm looking forward to all of these, especially since modeling is something that I have started taking seriously this year and want to do more of, increasing my versatility in the fitness industry, building on what I have done as an athlete, trainer, and writer.

Change and Opportunities

Life was starting to race away at a million miles a second for me, and even though not the most ideal way - certainly NOT how I would have chosen to do it - injuring my wrist has meant forced slowing down. Slowing down has given me the opportunity to reassess my direction, allowing for personal and professional growth, reminding me of what is close to my heart.

I have made some adjustments to my goals and been able to focus more on my writing, as well as take the time to do a few things that have been on my "to do" list for a while, including but not limited to:
  • Start "branding" myself
  • Get on Twitter - daily updates re motivation, blogs, etc.
  • Design and start a Q&A blog
  • Start writing a daily "Motivation" column - WPM Women
  • Create a Facebook page for Rosie's MuscleRevolution
  • Design and start a monthly RCS Newsletter - No.1 coming 1 September
  • Start making several changes to my website
I am serious about establishing myself in the fitness industry, building the platforms that will give me the greatest exposure and ability to help others, whether it be as simple as motivating them, or as complicated as educating and helping them make lifestyle changes for a better quality of life.

THE FEMALE TERMINATOR CHRONICLES

Updates to my "Fitness Blog" (here) are likely going to become once or twice weekly, concentrating again on my training, nutrition, and supplements.

God Bless!