February 5, 2012

2012 | Day 36: Life...it comes apart and then it falls together...


MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

For the complete Motivational, review One More Time | WPM Women.

TRAINING

A month back in training and Maintenance HAS been achieved! AND back on track as far as 0330 waking schedule, to start training between 0430 and 0500!

Training completed this week:

Monday

HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 20 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 6 min jogging

Stretch 5 min

Shoulders/Hamstrings (1 min recovery between sets):
1. Smith Machine Seated Behind-the-neck Military Press 5 x 12, 10, 10, 8, 8
2. Smith Machine Seated Military Press 5 x 6
3. Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises 5 x 10 per side
4. Stiff-Legged BB Deadlift (on 6-inch box, BB to touch floor) 5 x 10

Post-Weights Cardio:
Recline Bike 20 min @ 115-119 rpm

Stretch 15 min

Amazing how ALIVE I feel at 0330 in the morning! Bright-eyed and ready for training. Went for my HIIT Run - the cooler temperature definitely agrees with my body (and my joints) better. Felt so good that I kept sprinting until my sprints started to slow drastically. Knees were not much of an issue until the last four minutes of my run, which was great!...After stretching for a little, it was time to head off to the gym...Started with Behind-the-neck Military Press today (still on the Smith Machine for the support until my right shoulder has more stability), since this was THE primary exercise that helped me build my shoulders up, and now that I have lost muscle mass there, I want to optimize my training as much as possible, to gain it back as fast as possible. They were ok - surprisingly able to perform more reps at the same weight I used last week (although, that said, also did it first, not second like last week). Military Press was a little surprise, six reps struggling with, especially on the last three sets, but pushing through anyway. Went up in weight, but did the same number of reps as last week for Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises - noticing muscle loss in right side quite noticeable, especially re lack of delt cap now (left side has it), which not too happy about, but all I can do is work hard to get it back. Did Stiff-Legged BB Deadlifts on the 6-inch box again, really feeling the stretch in my hamstrings…Post-Weights Cardio to finish off the session...Back to my room to finish off my stretching to complete the day, before having a quick shower, shovelling down breakfast, and heading off to work...

Tuesday

Run 3 miles

Arms/Abs (30 sec recovery between alternate sets):
Alternate Set A -
1. Rope Crunches 2 x 20
2. Swissball Crunches (270 to 180 degrees) 2 x 15
Alternate Set B -
3. Dips 4 x 10, 10, 8, 6
4. Close-Grip BB Bicep Curls 4 x 6, 6, 5, 5
Alternate Set C -
5. V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs 4 x 6
6. Incline DB Bicep Curls 4 x 12
Alternate Set D -
7. Push-Ups (hands on fists under chest, feel on floor) 4 x 8
8. Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls 4 x 10 per side
Alternate Set E -
9. Rope Crunches 2 x 20
10. Swissball Crunches (270 to 180 degrees) 2 x 15

Post-Weights Cardio:
Recline Bike 20 min @ 113-117 rpm

Stretch 20 min

Another early morning run - loved it! Knees were ok today, with no niggles or anything, which was surprising (but welcome), considering the way my knees were grinding all yesterday at work...Resistance training I decided to mix up a little. Started out with a couple of Abs' alternate sets, feeling the burn during the FIRST set of Rope Crunches, only deepening as I continued. My strength was improved on last week with Dips, and pain was not experienced until the last couple of reps on the last two sets, which I FORCED out. Close-Grip BB Bicep Curls were a DISASTER and I had NO strength whatsoever, barely getting the last rep out on each set, thinking WTF??? Alternate Set C was fine. I was able to go all the way down with my Push-Ups today, my elbows right in at my sides, although on the last two sets, I was favouring my right side a little, noticing I had to use more force on my left to get the last rep or so out on each set. Lightheaded and dizzy towards the end of this alternate set. Finished off with more burning abs, seeing stars...Then a little slower on the Recline Bike today - was feeling a little exhausted…Stretching when I got back to the room was to help relax and help my back...

Wednesday


HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 10 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 10 min jogging

Stretch 25 min

Woke bright and early, JUST before my 0330 alarm went off - good; not taking long for my body to get back into the natural rhythm of the schedule I kept for so long! Very foggy outside, with light drizzle. Not to be deterred, I headed off for my HIIT Run, a smile on my face. Sprints are getting better - I was definitely a lot faster than I have been. Also means that it took a lot more out of me, even though every time I do HIIT, I do my sprints with the MAXIMAL effort I can at that time. So, less sprints this session, but I felt, more intense than I have been able to over the last three weeks. Not to mention that my knees did NOT bother me at all during the entire run, which was VERY welcome.

Thursday

Skipping:
10 x 90 sec effort/30 sec rest

Stretch 20 min

After being woken after an hour’s restless sleep last night and having to move, settling into the new hotel suite well after 0100, although I was awake to my 0330 alarm, I did not get up, figuring to train after work - whenever that might be. However, during a lull in the flow, I did 20 minutes of skipping to beat the boredom. Really felt it in my calves towards the end, and it was better on my right shoulder than I thought it would be. Since I did not finish work until a couple of hours AFTER I was SUPPOSED to, feeling cold and lifeless and the day just being an up and down as far as energy and everything, I adjusted and made the decision to do today's session on Saturday instead.

Friday

HIIT Run:
a. 4 min jogging
b. 12 x 20 sec sprint/10 sec easy
c. 10 min jogging

Shoulders/Arms/Abs (1 min recovery between trisets):
TriSet A -
1. Dips 4 x 10, 10, 8, 8
2. DB Zottoman Curls 4 x 10, 10, 8, 8
3. Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls 4 x 10, 10, 8, 8 per side
TriSet B -
4. DB Lateral Raises 4 x 10
5. DB Clean and Press 4 x 10, 8, 8, 8
6. Rear Flyes 4 x 10
TriSet C -
7. Rope Crunches 4 x 10
8. Hanging Straight-Leg Raises 4 x 10, 8, 8, 8
9. Ab Rollout 4 x 10

Post-Weights Cardio:
Recline Bike 20 min @ 97-101 rpm

Stretch 25 min

First early morning run on a new highway. Was quite pleasant. Very warm. Wet. Up and down a little, so got some "extra" in with my sprints…Walked to the gym - 15 minutes from the hotel. First session in a new facility, finding my way around, testing the weights, surprised at the discrepancy between what I have been lifting and what I was able to lift here. TriSets today, no mucking around. TriSet A started with Arms today, since Shoulders are feeling a little tender - both of them. The Dips’ bars are far too wide for me, but I used them anyway, since Dips are the BEST exercise for me re triceps, next to Close-Grip BB Bench Press, and my right shoulder is still not being kind to me on that. Vascularity coming out during DB Zottoman Curls, but definition was pathetic to mine eyes and made me feel highly Inadequate, like I need to build my shoulders and arms up a LOT more to even look semi-decent. Right biceps tendon burning and stinging during Alternate DB Hammer Bicep Curls, crying not even half-way through the second set, but pushing through it anyway with gritted teeth, lightheaded and dizzy afterwards. TriSet B was ok, even though my Lateral Raises were pitiful. DB Clean and Press were taxing on my shoulders - both of them, and I had to drop the reps to stay at the same weight. The surprise was the Rear Delts, where I was easily able to almost DOUBLE what I have been lifting here. TriSet C was another surprise - the opposite of the latter. Rope Crunches were just over HALF the usual weight I've used for them the last few years - got told that all cable machines are different, but they can’t be THAT different, surely! Anyways, Hanging Straight-Leg Raises were a battle, hanging from my hands still painful on my right shoulder and biceps tendon. Used an actual wheel for the Ab Rollout, instead of a barbell with plates on the end this time and it was different, but ok...Finished up with 20 minutes on the Recline Bike. Was hard to spin today and my legs were feeling it after the first few minutes, which is UNcharacteristic from my usual ability to spin. Not even the FULL scoop of Assault I used this morning was enough to help me through that...Walked back to the hotel in the drizzle, reflective...

Saturday

CrossTrainer 10 min

Full-Body (30 sec recovery between alternate sets):
Alternate Set A -
1. Rope Crunches 4 x 15
2. Weighted DB Crunch (on bench, knees at 90 degrees) 4 x 15
Alternate Set B -
3. EZ-Bar Bicep Curls 4 x 21s
4. V-Bar Tricep Push-Downs 4 x 10
Alternate Set C -
5. Alternate DB Hammer Curls 4 x 20
6. Single-Arm DB Lateral Raises 4 x 10 per side
Alternate Set D -
7. Plate Hammer Raises 4 x 8
8. Seated Bent Over DB Rear Raises 4 x 10
Alternate Set E -
9. Supinated Lat Pull-Downs 4 x 10
10. Push-Ups (hands on fists, feet on floor) 4 x 10
SuperSet F -
11. Swissball Curls 4 x 12
12. Ab Rollout 4 x 12

Post-Weights Cardio:
CrossTrainer 20 min

Stretch 20 min

After last night I was just going to train after work, but body woke after only ~3 hours sleep and I couldn’t go back to it, wide awake, so after an hour, I took my pre-training supplements and got ready, heading off to the gym in the dark of the morning...Decided to try the CrossTrainer pre-weights, since I only needed to do 10 minutes before this session. I was a little surprised at what it felt like. I've used such machines in other gyms before, but none of them have ever felt like this, and I've never been a big fan of them, preferring to run or cycle. But this one actually felt like I was just running, withOUT the stress on my lower legs or any pain in my knees, which I enjoyed. It had nothing on running outside on the tarmac, alone in the dark with my thoughts and aggression, but it was kinder on my body, which, right now, honestly, it needs, given the daily beatings I put it through...Starting with the smaller areas, working backwards. Alternate Set A hurt like hell - I felt EVERY rep and then some. Alternate Set B I started getting a little light-headed during, but I kept pushing on, because that’s what I do, not allowing myself to lower weights or do anything less than I knew I was capable of - there has been enough of that; NO MORE! Alternate Set C was painful on my biceps tendons (BOTH), with noticeable strength differences in my right and left sides, making me even more determined to get back to "normal" as soon as possible! Alternate Set D was interesting, considering the last time I tried Seated DB Rear Raises a month ago, I involuntarily DROPPED the weight in my right hand on the first rep from the sudden and extreme pain on the movement. Not today though, and with tears stinging my eyes, I forced ever rep. Sometimes pain is good and my body has to stop being a baby about it. Alternate Set E was the surprise, since I was able to use considerably more weight than I have been with Supinated Lat Pull-Downs. The downside was that my Push-Ups were very painful, feeling BOTH sides re shoulders, and I almost collapsed on my face during my last set. Alternate Set F made sure I finished off the session close to tears and ready to complete my training day with an aggressive "run"...After using the CrossTrainer pre-weights and knowing what it feels like, instead of "cycling" post-weights henceforth, I decided to "run", since during use of the Recline Bike has been about as kind on my knees as running outside this last month. Made sure I UPPED the pace during the second half, a sadistic smile, sick satisfaction in punishing my body, energy coursing through me, despite the light-headedness and dizzy spells experienced sporadically throughout my resistance session...

Sunday

Day OFF

Training has been at Maintenance this week, which is great! It's taken me about a month to get back into the groove of things and I am still not quite there as far as levels pre-injury with everything, but I am on my WAY, which is better than nothing.

OTHER NOTES

Body Composition

Down to 9.2% bodyfat - a pitiful and measly 0.1% bodyfat loss. So very frustrating, because I have been doing everything "right". Well, what everyone ELSE deems "right", because I know that it is NOT "right" for MY body, but wanted to give it another shot to see if progress was any different to what it has been in the past. But it wasn't, so no more of that nonsense - everyone else can do it, but NOT me! I was even told the other day that I do so much better when I AM having HIGH calories AND HIGH carbohydrates - in excess of 4,000 calories and 400 grams of carbohydrates a day! Definitely interesting how our bodies are so unique - mine has never made much sense to anyone else and I've always done what works best for it regardless of others' thoughts on the matter. So, back to doing what WORKS FOR MY body! It's time for PROGRESS!

Supplements

Short delay on my staples (meant to arrive this week) until early next week - I cannot express how much I am looking forward to having them back, having used not even the bare minimum the last month.

Natural Muscle Magazine


Last week I received an email from the editor of Natural Muscle Magazine, saying she was going to run my Shaping the Perfect Glutes article in the February 2012 issue. Needless to say, it gave me a smile. The February 2012 issue is now out - you can find my article on page 30

Life Loves Games I Hate

Life loves to toy with us and offer us hope without intention of ever allowing us to experience the reality of the fantasy. It sucks, but it also teaches us something about ourselves. I have been out of sorts this week, not like myself, finding parts of me that I had put aside [for a reason], welcoming them back into my life to make sure I don't ever feel like this again. It's not going backwards, simply accepting that without those aspects of myself, I would likely never have got to where I am now. So even though we should never give up on our hopes and dreams and go after them with everything that we are and have, sometimes the reality is just too painful to want to keep them, and in those times, casting aside what would be detrimental to your health and well-being is the only smart thing to do, no matter how much pain it causes us. Even if it takes a lifetime to move on, I have let go and are ready to come back at Life, swinging with everything I have, never giving it another chance to blindside me like this again, making sure it knows it takes far more than that to knock the Fighting Warrior Spirit out of me!

BRING IT ON! I'm Armoured up and Ready for Battle!